7/30/12

A Hollywood Star


Twenty-five members of the Overseas Human Resources and Industry Development Association came to visit our company on a training program. They came from Thailand, Malaysia, the Philippines, Indonesia, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Iran, Macedonia, Ghana, and Sudan. Their association used to be called the Association for Overseas Technical Scholarship, but they just changed their name at the end of March.

There were a lot of people including staff from the local factories of Japanese companies, and some of those companies have over 5,000 employees such as Ajinomoto, Toray and Hitachi. What they all have in common is that they are in a position where they manage staff.

This was the fourth time we have hosted this tour. Why is that? It’s because we have received high evaluations the past three times.

This time it was more exciting than ever.


It started with a very lively talk by Mr. T from our management group.

I love his smile!

Hitomi gave an overview of our company.

Then we started on the Discover ISOWA Tour.

The first part was led by Mr. O of the construction section.

“The smile is a common expression throughout the world. It is the basis of communication.”

The second part was led by Mr. S of the processing department.

“I will do my best so I can handle the NC machine.”

The third part was led by Mr. K of the management division.

 “Although I didn’t know about the iPad at all, I figured it out together with my colleagues.”

When he explained about the project to introduce iPads for all the staff, our visitors were astonished and envious.

After Mr. K’s talk, I had this question, “Can I join ISOWA?”

I said instantly, “Do you really want to be a member of ISOWA, or you just want an iPad?” I think it was a nice joke.

The fourth part was led by Mr. S of the technology division.

 “I haven’t had a chance to work on development so far. I want to start from scratch.”

“Do you think you can make time for it?”

He answered right away: “The most important thing is for you to believe you can do it. It’s only my frame of mind to make me feel busy or not.”

That was a cool thing to say.

The last part of the tour was led by Mr. Y of the sales department, from Nagoya.

He started in a different way from others.

“Let me ask you a question. We’ve been talking about reforming our corporate culture. It is a typically Japanese theme. I was just wondering if you understand what we’re saying.”

“Yes, of course.” They all wanted to hear that kind of story. You did a good job.

All of the staff who spoke in today’s tour – their English was so nice.
I guess it is thanks to the office English school. I think the efforts of the E-You Project, the in-house English class, has started to bear fruit.

And also this time I tried out a new camera angle for photographing.

Both of the visitors and ISOWA staff are in the picture. It’s nice, isn’t it?

After going back to a conference room, Mr. O of the “sharaku” section, which was organized to promote corporate reform, introduced the history of our efforts to improve.

And then we held a Q&A time with the visitors.

They were all very eager. Lots of questions about my management style came at me. That was really fun.

A representative of the visitors gave us gracious words of appreciation at the end of the tour.

Other visitors said, “I want to be a president like you” and “You are the best president ever.”

There were even some people waiting in line to take a picture with me.

I’ve never experienced this. I felt like a Hollywood star.

Mrs. N, who accompanied us last time too as an interpreter, said right before she left the office: “I know I don’t have to come anymore. But I hope I will be here the next time too. I even wish I could work in ISOWA.”

I really love ISOWA. I love the people of ISOWA, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment